Tuesday, May 2, 2017

Through their Eyes - The Balkans Part II

Continuing on with our trip through the Balkans...

Next up, Montenegro. We went to Kotor, a gorgeous walled-off little town. But wow, was it packed with tourists. This was the only time I felt overwhelmed by the crowds (I'm sure it did not help that the cruise ship port was just outside the walls of Kotor). It was nice nonetheless, especially walking the medieval walls and checking out the views from the top

Kotor







In my previous post, I talked a little bit about beating the crowds. I said it once and I'll say it again, I am so glad we went to this part of Europe in April. Croatia is growing in popularity (especially because of the show Game of Thrones). We took advantage of the low crowds every time we could. Unfortunately, not in Kotor... We enjoyed it, nonetheless

Day tripping to Croatia's most beloved National Park: Plitvice.




What a lovely way to spend the afternoon, having a picnic, walking around the easy paths, peppered by gorgeous waterfalls. The water was so stunning, it was hard to believe it was real (these pictures do not do them any justice)


Visiting lovely (and totally underrated) Zagreb. Croatia's capital city does not have the recognition it deserves. If you get the chance to visit, do yourself a favor and go! You won't be disappointed

Jelacic Square - The Times Square of Zagreb



We were there just before Palm Sunday, the city was buzzing with markets and people out enjoying the wonderful weather. The historic center is completely pedestrian which made it super easy for a relaxing stroll with the kids. And strolling we did...



This little street (Tkalciceva) is such a gem... Full of restaurants and coffee shops. Very lively, great for people watching
More walking, Strossmayer Promenade
St Mark's Square up ahead, beauty at every turn
Back to Tkalciceva because, it was just that much fun. We stopped many times for coffee and wine (or beer, whatever struck our fancy) while the kids hung out with the locals. Croatians are a friendly bunch


Zagreb is awesome! We just loved it there.

That concludes our little time in the Balkans. Needless to say, I want to go back and explore so much more. We totally lucked out on some great tickets that, I'm almost certain, will not be coming around anytime soon. However, I will keep looking because, this little area of our beautiful planet deserves to be explored some more...

I hope you like the pictures. More adventures are in the works for us here in La Casa de Sand so, come back soon!

For more pictures from the Balkans go here
Want to see more of our travel pictures? Go here
For more, and I mean, way more pictures (although I must warn you, I post sporadically but when I do post, I go bananas) check out my Instagram feed here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!