Monday, August 13, 2012

Casabe

I love casabe, so so much. I admit, it has a bit of an acquired taste but when you are raised on it... You can't help but to love it.

What's Casabe you ask? Casabe is a thin flatbread made from bitter cassava (yuca) root. Its origin is said to be pre - Columbian times. In Venezuela many native ethnic groups still make casabe the old fashioned way (read more here) and it remains their main bread-like food.

Thin and crisp cakes of casabe are often broken apart and eaten like crackers. Like bread, casabe can be eaten alone or with other dishes. Thicker casabe usually are eaten slightly moistened (that's the way I remember my grandma eating it, with coffee).

Casabe is now as trendy as ever. It is common to find it in restaurants in Venezuela as an appetizer with garlic and butter... Yummy!

This is the way I like to eat casabe... dunking it in soup!

On our trip to Puerto Rico I found some Casabe in the supermarket... I bought a box of cracker sized casabe... Our kids are devouring them... It makes my heart smile!

Read more about Casabe here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!