Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Roasting garlic + compound butter

The other day the husband called me at work: "I'm at the store, they have 5 heads of garlic for .50 cents, should I get it" he asked? And without thinking twice I said, yes! But, what should I make with all that garlic? Well, after giving it some thought, a great way to use garlic is roasting it. Then I got thinking... I can make some compound butter with the roasted garlic! So I did. Here is how you do it:

For roasting the garlic you will need:

Whole heads of garlic
Olive oil

Directions:

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Take one of the heads of garlic. Whack off maybe a half an inch off the top.
Basically, you want to expose the garlic enough so that it’s easy to get out once it’s roasted. Set the garlic in your baking dish.
Drizzle the garlic with olive oil. Pour it over the heads, so the oil seeps down between the cloves. If you want to wind up with garlic-infused oil, pour generously.
Pop the pan into your preheated 350-degree oven. Roast for 30-45 minutes. Start checking the garlic after 25 minutes or so (remember: you don’t want the tip to burn).
For the compound butter:

Cut up a stick of butter and set it in a bowl on the counter to soften up for about 20 minutes.
When the butter is soft, mash it up with a fork.
Grab your roasted garlic and toss it in the bowl with the butter.
Mash it together with a fork until you have a uniform paste. If it’s kind of soupy, that’s just fine. It’ll firm up in the fridge.
Rip off a piece of waxed paper or parchment paper. Scoop the butter on to it. (I use the same method I use for freezing cookie dough - See post here)
Set the butter in the fridge for a few hours, until it’s nice and firm. When it’s hard, it’s ready to use. You can also store it in the freezer until you are ready to use it!

Use it to make garlic bread, stir it into mashed potatoes or roasting potatoes... YUM!

Compound butters are delicious, don't you think? I have made strawberry butter (remember? Go here for a link to the recipe) but I am dying to try these butters: honey nut, citrus and raspberry... Now those sound amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!