Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Almond Milk

I  have seen many recipes for nut milks around the web... I decided I need to do it once and for all... The reason, you ask? It just sounds so delicious in smoothies and with coffee. I just wanted to try it so bad.

I made my very own nut milk bag (more on that tomorrow), bought my self a bag of almonds and followed this recipe with a minor adjustment:
Ingredients:

1 cup raw almonds
4 cups filtered water + more for soaking almonds

Optional:

Sweetener of choice – maple syrup, agave, cinnamon, etc
A tiny splash of vanilla extract

Items needed:

A nut milk bag - I made my own (I'll show you tomorrow) but you can find it here
A blender

Directions:

Soak 1 cup of almonds overnight (or all day) in a bowl of filtered water. Strain and rinse soaked almonds. Dump them into your blender with the 4 cups of filtered water. Blend on high for 5 minutes. Place the nut milk bag in a bowl (preferably in the sink), and empty the blender into the nut milk bag. Squeeze the milk through the bag into the bowl. The almond pulp will stay in the bag and you’ll be left with just the yummy milk (I am saving the almond pulp in the freezer to make Rugelach - You can find my recipe here). Now rinse the blender and the lid. Pour the milk back into the blender and add the sweetener of your choice (I used agave plus a touch of vanilla). Next time I'll try 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon, or even a pinch of sea salt. Blend again for a minute.
Cereal... Here we come...

Recipe from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!