Wednesday, February 1, 2012

An Australian girl + a life lesson, I think...

You've heard of the American girl doll, right?
Well, this is not her... She is an Australian {Aborigine} Girl.

My sister sent my daughter this doll from Australia a couple of years ago... She loved it immediately but lately she is really liking making clothes for her and putting her to sleep close to her.
Perhaps she is not as pretty as the American girl doll (and by pretty I mean she does not have long luscious hair and fancy outfits) but beautiful nonetheless.... Which brings me to the life lesson...

She took her doll to the playground when some girls starting commenting on her doll... "She is so ugly" which got her thinking... Mami, they said my doll is ugly, do you think so? That's when I told her: "Do you think she is ugly?" "No" she said. "Well then... Don't listen to them"... Different people have different opinions about beauty... We choose to believe that everybody is beautiful in their own way regardless of their ethnic background.... Then she when on and continued playing with her doll...
What did she learn from this? We should not judge people from the way they look? Outside beauty is not as important and inside beauty? Different ethnicities are beautiful in their own way and we should learn to appreciate them all? I really don't know... but she hasn't stopped playing with her doll so I think what I said resonated with her... At least I just hope.

PS. The other baby in her bed is the one I used to play with when I was a little girl... My mom brought it to her when she came to visit back in December. I love that she loves her... And she named her Rosa, like my grandmother! It was meant to be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!