Thursday, September 1, 2011

Canning tomatoes

This is a first for me and I am so excited to share this with you. Here is what I did:
Gather a large amount of tomatoes, clean them and remove the stems.

Clean/sterilize jars and lids.

Drop the cleaned tomatoes in boiling water for a minute, remove, let rest for a bit and remove the skins.
Cut off the stems and remove the seeds. I wanted my tomatoes to be more crushed than chunky so I blended 1/4 of the tomatoes in the blender and added the liquid to the diced tomatoes.

Put the tomatoes in a large pot and bring to a boil. Let it reduce to your desired consistency (be careful to not let them stick to the bottom).
Pour the tomatoes into the sterilized jars. Run a knife along the inside of each jar to get rid of air pockets.

Add a squeeze of lemon to each jar.

Boil the full jars in water for 45 minutes until lids are sealed.

Remove from water and cover with a towel.
Label and store in your pantry.

When I am ready to use it all I do is open a jar and use it the way I would use crushed canned tomatoes. One of my favorite ways is in a simple marinara sauce with onions, garlic and dried oregano over some pasta, a little bit of fresh herbs won't hurt either. Simple and delicious.
Note: In order to make a large amount of sauce you need a lot of tomatoes... They will reduce significantly...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!