Wednesday, September 21, 2011

All you need is...


And a few other things to embellish a top...

Sometimes, I swear, I will never shop in Old Navy or H&M. Yes, the clothes are reasonably price but the quality is so bad... Take this black top for example:


I wore it once and this is what I get

So I decided to fix it, the cheap way, of course... I drew my inspiration from this picture...

OK, so are you ready to see what I did? It's easy, I promise.

Gather your materials:
  • Long pieces of knit fabric. Knit works great here because it gives your clothes a nice, raw edge without fraying (you can use an old t-shit or ribbed knit available at a fabric store)
  • Scissors or a rotary cuter
  • Pins
  • Sewing machine, thread
Instructions:

With your scissors or rotary cuter cut the knit fabric as even as possible (the width will depend on your taste).
Play with your long strips of knit fabric until you get the writing you want (make sure the holes are covered by the strips of fabric).
Use pins to secure it in place.

Free sew with your sewing machine - go slow and steady.
Iron and wear.
Be ready to answer all the questions from your friends "where did you get that top?"

See my other attempts to save t-shirts here and here

2 comments:

  1. Very cute! Did you stitch in the middle of the wording or on both edges? My girls have some t's with small stains I need to do something with, thanks for the great ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so easy Susan!, I stitched it up right in the middle... Please post pictures if you get to do it... I'm sure they will turn out awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!