Friday, July 29, 2011

Menu for the week

BLT sandwiches/Gazpacho
Grilled chicken breast with harissa/herb quinoa/pan roasted veggies
Spaghetti al Pomodoro/Rolls
Eggplant Parmesan/Salad

Breakdown:

Kroger $22
Aldi $16
Costco $17
Trader Joe's $7

Continuing with the using-the-Summer-veggies-from-our-garden series, this week I made this:
Gazpacho is one of my favorite summer foods. It is a salad in a bowl. Every single vegetable going in the soup has been grown in our garden. So good and refreshing. Here is the recipe I learned from my cousins when we visited them in Southern Spain a few years back.

4 large tomatoes cut in large cubes
2 medium cucumbers cut in large cubes
1 large green pepper cut in large cubes
2 tablespoons of red wine vinegar
Couple of slices of bread, soaked in a little bit of water (I use old bread that I freeze for making gazpacho and bruschetta)
A good drizzle of olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

In a blender, blend the tomatoes, cucumbers, green pepper and bread until smooth with the red wine vinegar. Season with salt and pepper. Give the blender another whirl and drizzle some olive oil. Put the mixture through a strainer to get rid of any fiber. Refrigerate.

I like to make a big batch (2 quarts or so) and have it ready to go in the refrigerator for a light lunch or afternoon snack. I like to top my gazpacho with chopped tomatoes, cucumbers and a drizzle of olive oil.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!