Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Bruschettas

Sometimes I like to go to the store after the kiddos go to bed. Late at night I have the store all to myself and something I have noticed is that my local supermarket marks down a lot of their stuff. Case in point, the breads that have been baked earlier in the day. I can find bagettes for 45 cents (when thay are usually marked at $2). I know what you are saying, but they are not fresh! Well, I buy them with the purpose of making Bruschetta...
You see, the key to making bruschetta is old bread. Here is how I do it:

Slice your day-old bread (If I buy several loaves I freeze them already sliced so they are ready for when I want to make some Bruschetta) and grill it until the slices are a little charred on both sides. Peel a garlic clove and rub it on the charred bread slices. In a bowl combine cubed tomatoes, torn basil, salt and pepper. Top off a slice of toasted bread with the tomato mixture and drizzle with really good olive oil.

A perfect summer accompaniment for a light dinner of soup or salad. It is also a great appetizer for your next summer soiree...

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm, I love bruschetta! You can also use the old bread in panzanella, a Tuscan breadsoup. Lots of recipes on the net.
    I have been reading along with your holiday posts. Very enjoyable!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea Caroline! I love panzanella. I am going to make it this week. Thanks for idea!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!