Backpacks are ready, all possible research has been done...
Thing that I am most looking forward to in Iceland:
20 hours of daylight
Thing I am least looking forward to in Iceland:
20 hours of daylight...
Other fun facts about Iceland:
- In Iceland you will find 800 hot springs, 10,000 waterfals, 15 active volcanoes and 4,500 square miles of glaciers, WOW!
- The English word geyser comes from Icelandic (perhaps the only Icelandic word imported into English).
- There are only about 320,000 Icelanders in the country. About half of them live in the capital Reykjavik and its suburbs.
- Iceland is roughly the size of the state of Kentucky.
- Icelandic water is so clean and pure that it is piped into the city and to the kitchen taps in the home without any treatment.
- Like Costa Rica, Iceland has no army, navy, or air force. It does have a Coast Guard.
- Iceland is the world’s oldest democracy. Its parliament (Althingi) was founded about 1,000 years ago.
- About 81 percent of total primary energy supply in Iceland is derived from domestically produced renewable energy sources (geothermal and Hydropower). 100 percent of the electricity used comes from renewable power... Impressive, right?
- Iceland is located on the Mid-Atlantic Ridge, which makes it one of the most tectonically active places in the world.
OK, we are ready! See you back here in a few weeks...