Thursday, March 24, 2011

A deal at the store

I took an unscheduled trip to a new supermarket to check what I heard was amazing low prices. I also heard the produce came from local farmers, so I definitely had to go. I have to say it did not disappoint. They did not have a great variety of produce like Super H Mart but they sure have very fresh produce and very reasonably priced. I will be going back, for sure.

Something I like about it is that when fruits and veggies were starting to not look their best, they significantly reduced the prices... I don't care if a couple of eggplants are a little bruised here and there when 5 more in the bag were perfectly fine... And the whole bag for a dollar?... You can't beat that.

... Enter, the mangoes

The pack of 3 mangoes for $1. Seriously? Just a little soft, perfect for smoothies... which I made and it was fabulous

All you have to do is remove the peel, cut and blend with some water (add sugar if necessary, these mangoes were plenty sweet, no sugar necessary). Put through a sieve and serve...


As it turned out, once I cut into the mangoes they where perfect, I did not have to use them in smoothies, I could have used them for mango salsa, fruit salad, or Asian barbebued pork wraps (a recipe I have been dying to try).

So, if your supermarket offers better prices for the produce that are not looking perfect, go for it... Great way to save up some money.

I'm going back to the store this week... If I find some more mangoes I will be making some Lassi... I can't wait. Stay tuned for that post.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Lindsay... Here is the address if you want to check them out. It is located where the old Target in Pleasant Hill Rd used to be.

    2300 Pleasant Hill Rd
    Duluth, GA 30096

    Let me know how you like it.

    XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!