Thursday, February 17, 2011

Shrimp stock

I made a very delicious shrimp stock and I wanted to share the recipe with all of you. As I told you before (see previous post here), I like to make my own stock for soups and such. It is so much better, and cheap... All you need are vegetable scraps... The result is so rich and delicious. I like to use shrimp stock for paella, fideua and other seafood recipes but ever since we got back from New Orleans I can't wait to use it on some gumbo or jambalaya.

Ingredients:
The shells, tails and, if I have it, the heads of shrimp, approximately 2 pounds (I save mine in the freezer until I have a good amount)
1/2 of a onion, roughly chopped
1/4 cup chopped celery
1/4 cup chopped carrots
2 garlic gloves, smashed
2 bay leaves
3 sprigs fresh thyme
1 tsp. black peppercorns
A good sprinkle of sea salt

Optional: 1 lemon sliced

Add all ingredients to a moderate sized stock pot. Cover this with cold water. Bring almost to a boil, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Skim off any scum that rises to the surface. Simmer for about 45 minutes to an hour. Strain through a fine mesh strainer. Remember to give it a good squeeze to get all that good bit left.
Isn't the color of the stock fantastic?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!