Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Passion fruit curd

I have been wanting to try my hand at making some curd for awhile now. The other day while sifting though pictures from our trip to Australia (it's all Oprah's fault, did you see her Australian Ultimate Adventure? makes me want to go back, right now!) I remembered the delicious passion fruit curd we bought in a market.
Queen Victoria market Melbourne, Australia

So I decided to take on the challenge and make some. I have very ambitious ideas as to how to use this delicious curd: On scones or freshly baked bread, on pound cake and as a filling for macaroons (yes, the French, utterly delicious cookie that most people are afraid of making due to its dificulty). Anyway, wish me luck with all of that. I am preparing myself for possible disappointment. But if not, you bet those goodies will be featured here. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Ok, enough chatter already, I leave you with the recipe for passion fruit curd:

1/2 cup passion-fruit pulp or juice
1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/2 cup granulated sugar
Pinch of salt
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut in small pieces

Preparation:

Bring passion-fruit pulp, lemon juice, sugar, salt, and cornstarch to a simmer in a medium saucepan over medium heat (until the sugar is dissolved). Slowly whisk in egg yolks. Cook, whisking constantly, until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Remove from heat. Add butter; whisk until melted. Pour through a fine sieve into a medium bowl. Place plastic wrap directly on surface of curd. Refrigerate until set, about 2 hours.

Curd can be chilled for up to a week

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!