Thursday, December 2, 2010

Homemade vegetable stock

So you know how after cutting vegetables for a salad or a soup you are left with a whole bunch of scraps? You don't have a compost pile so, what else can you do with all those scraps? Well friends, I have an idea for you, try making homemade stock. First, I freeze all of the vegetable scraps in a plastic baggie (carrot and onion peels, celery and leek tops, etc). Once I have accumulated a reasonable amount I simmer them in a big pot with water, a generous amount of salt, garlic cloves and peppercorns. After an hour or so of simmering I let it rest and cool off. Then I remove the veggies (I give them a good squeeze to get all that good flavor) and pour the liquid through a sifter.
It makes the most delicious, fat-free stock (you could easly add chicken or even fish bones to make non vegetarian versions). Keep it labeled in your freezer (I used recycled Chinese food containers) and it will be ready to be used when your recipe calls for stock. No more buying the can/carton stuff. Give this homemade stock a try and you will see the difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!