Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies

To continue with the fall theme around here I made some scrumptious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies. They were our dessert on Thanksgiving day (I talked about it here). If you like your cookies a little cakey this is your recipe, so good friend...

As a side note, here is the thing with making cookies for our desserts; cookie recipes usually make 40 big ones... If I kept that many cookies around our house we will be eating on those all the time. Instead, I like to bake half of a batch and freeze the rest for later use (see my method for freezing cookie dough here)... It works so great for us because we get to enjoy them now and later without me having to whip the whole batch up again when we are in the mood for cookies.
Ok, so back to delicious pumpkin chocolate chip cookies, you will need a can of pumpkin puree. I have been buying cans of pumpkin puree (on sale now!) to add to cakes, breads, pancakes and now cookies (thanks to my friend Tara for the great idea!) and stocking them to be used throughout the fall/winter. Try it if you like pumpkin... It tastes so good... So without further adieu I leave you with:

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredient:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
1 cup light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup canned pumpkin puree
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 cups (12-ounce bag) milk chocolate chips, not semisweet

Preparation:
Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray cookie sheets with nonstick spray or line them with parchment paper (I use my silk pad). Using a mixer, beat the butter until smooth. Beat in the white and brown sugars, a little at a time, until the mixture is light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs 1 at a time, then mix in the vanilla and pumpkin puree. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves. Slowly beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds. Stir in the chips. Scoop the cookie dough by heaping tablespoons onto the prepared cookie sheets and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the cookies are browned around the edges. Remove the cookie sheets from the oven and let them rest for 2 minutes. Take the cookies off with a spatula and cool them on wire racks.
Enjoy

PS. you know all those Hershey's candy bars your kids got on Halloween? Well, after my kids go to bed I raid their bag, remove them and save them for recipes like this one (don't feel bad for them...They got so many, they will never notice). If I don't have enough for my recipe I mix them with unsweetened chocolate chips. Just an idea...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!