Thursday, April 15, 2010

Menu for the week

French lentil soup/Salad - A new fave... A little sprinkle of Parmesan cheese and a drizzle of olive oil...Delicious. Hands down better than the regular lentils.
Spaghetti alla putanesca/Salad
Cauliflower soup with gorgonzola - Recipe from here/salad
Hamburgers/orzo salad/sweet potato chips (some friends will be coming over for some grilling)

Breakdown:
Aldi/Kroger $ 40
Costco $29

By now I am sure you have heard about Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution. I have always liked him but I have gained a whole new respect for him. The purpose of the show is to change the way our kids are being fed in school, starting at home, of course. I love his approach and I truly believe he is invested in it. I signed the petition and I hope you do the same. Here is a quote from his website "We want to make sure every kid gets good, fresh food at school. It's proven that real food promotes more effective learning. If you want better health for your kids the junk food must go" I agree Jamie. I am doing my part and passing it on...

I am also getting his book... I think the title says it all "Jamie's Food Revolution. Rediscover how to Cook Simple, Delicious and Affordable Meals" My mantra... Jamie, I think we must be soul mates!

3 comments:

  1. In the history of manking, there has never been a revolution without people being hungry.

    This is not a revolution, not even close to an evolution. Somehow, somewhere, we took the wrong turn and people start to realize it...

    Nice clean, proper image consulting and personal brand building: this is an attempt at monetizing a trend by an otherwise perfectly apt and charismatic person.

    When revolution comes, we won't need marketers to tell.

    Fred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meh... Fred, we can quibble about the correct terminology - revolution or just change - but the fact is, this is a needed change. I realize our problem - kids overeating on crap industrial "food" - pales in comparison with the millions (or is it billions??) of starving people in the world. But there is no reason why, in a country with so many resources, we should be resorting to feeding our kids chemical recipes instead of real food. No reason whatsoever. I can understand your skepticism about Jamie Oliver's motives - but its a worthy cause - he's right! Our kids should not be eating this crap in school (or at home - that's another story). If he makes money in the process, that's fine by me... Better him than the shameless corporations feeding them chicken mush.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Food Channel and the PBS cooking shows. Jacques Pepin got me interested in cooking simply. I like the enthusiasm Jamie Oliver brings to cooking. If he can bring about a food revolution, it will have to start in the home kitchen. The school cafeteria, as a proxy for big business, makes for a convenient bad guy, but the onus is really on mom and dad. Keep posting your cooking inspirations, Elena. I'm paying attention.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!