Thursday, March 18, 2010

My trip to the farmers market

I made a special trip to the Dekalb Farmers Market (outside my regular trip to the grocery store) to stock up on some goodies that I cannot find in my neighborhood's supermarket.

In the picture:

Porcinis mushrooms (for porcini mushroom risotto)
Israeli couscous (for Italian wedding soup)
Dried canellini beans
Green lentils
Red lentils
Herbs de Provence (for grilled pork)
Coriander seeds
Cumin
Yellow split peas
Curry
Chocolate bars (best price I've seen for the Ghiardelli brand, $2 per bar... To bake more Babka)
Ground flax seed
Quinoa
Millet
Ground buckwheat (for this pancake recipe)
Champagne vinegar

Good things to know:
Store grains in the freezer as they tend to become rancid faster. Cook canellini beans and store them in baggies of approximately one cup before freezing. Add to soups or salads.

The total tab for all you see listed here was $48

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!