Friday, February 12, 2010

Menu for the week

Pork tenderloin stuffed with scallions/Israeli couscous/broccoli
Black bean tostada/salad
Pasta with savoy cabbage - Recipe from here/salad
Vegetable Enchilada/salad

Breakdown:
Aldi/Kroger $29
Costco $12
Dekalb Farmers Market $10

Friends, I have finally seen the movie Food Inc. and to say that it has changed the way I see food consumpsion is an understatement. As you can see from the meals I prepare for my family I have always been very careful on the amount of money I spend on food but I never sacrifice on quality. It is amazing that we really don't know how the food gets to our stores. Thanks to this documentary I have gained the knowledge and with it the power to change things, at least in our house. One of the ways I am trying to make a difference is by using less meat in our meals - I guess you can start calling us flexitarian. We will not completely stop eating meat, but we are making changes that will positively affect our health and in a small way the planet. We will also be planting our own garden. This is the year! No more excuses. Stay tuned for the posting about gardening and composting. Now, I am running to the library to get "Food Rules" and "In Defense of Food" by Michael Pollan. I owe it all to you Bill...Check him out

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment. Sorry anonymous comments will not be published. Thank you!